Accidents involving semi-trucks and other large commercial vehicles are more common than we’d like to think. In New Mexico in 2019, a truck accident occurred every 3 hours (on average).
It’s important for anyone who’s suffered from a truck accident to contact an attorney as soon as possible. You will be facing a difficult recovery, and probably a mountain of bills. An experienced New Mexico truck accident attorney can help you recover compensation for your losses, and hold the responsible party accountable.
But what kind of information do you need to have ready before you call an attorney? First things first, even if you don’t have all of the information below, give us a call and we can help you gather any and all information you need. Starting the process as soon as possible after your wreck is the key.
To be extra prepared, follow these suggestions. From the legal team at Stewart + Harmonson, here’s a rundown on what you need to do before you call a New Mexico truck accident attorney.
What to do immediately after your New Mexico accident
There are certain steps you should take after any car accident, not only to ensure the safety of everyone involved, but also to prepare for a personal injury claim down the line.
- Pull over and check to see if anyone’s injured.
- Call an ambulance if necessary.
- Call the police to file a police report.
- Exchange insurance information with the other driver(s).
- Document evidence at the scene. Take pictures and videos, write down the contact information of any witnesses, and jot down notes of what you remember. Also try to document any information you can about the trucking company by taking a picture of the side of the truck.
- Call your insurance company and report your accident, but don’t give a statement yet or sign any documents.
- Visit a doctor as soon as possible. Even if there were no immediately apparent injuries, it’s important to get a check-up because some injuries can take a few days or even weeks for symptoms to appear.
When to call a New Mexico truck accident attorney
Once you’ve completed the above steps, it’s time to call a personal injury lawyer and explain what happened to you. They’ll be able to help you figure out who is liable for your accident, and how you can recover your damages.
Some of these steps, like getting an insurance agent on the phone or visiting a doctor, might take a day or two. It’s okay to reach out to an attorney sooner if you’re waiting on some things. But the more information you have when you talk to an attorney, the more they’ll be able to help you.
It’s also important to talk to an attorney before agreeing to anything or giving an official statement to anyone, aside from the police. Your insurance, the truck driver’s insurance, or even the trucking company might try to get you to agree to something that will prevent you from getting a fair settlement down the road.
So once you’ve taken the immediate first steps, call an attorney as soon as possible so that you can come up with a plan together.
Information to have ready for your truck accident attorney
If you have access to it, here’s the information and documentation you should have on hand when you call your New Mexico attorney:
- Your name and identification
- Your insurance information
- The truck driver’s name and insurance information
- Any information you have about the trucking company the driver works for
- The police report
- Any medical information from your doctor about the accident
- Your own account of what happened
- Any other evidence you recorded at the scene
That being said, it’s okay to call an attorney if you don’t already have all of this figured out. Call the police and emergency services first, of course. But once that’s all taken care of, you can call Stewart + Harmonson if you’re not sure what to do next. We’ll be happy to walk you through what your next steps should be so that we can help you come up with a plan for recovering your damages.
Contact Stewart + Harmonson today
At Stewart + Harmonson, it’s our business to help people who have been injured in New Mexico truck accidents. We have the experience and knowledge of the law to help you get the settlement you deserve. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.